Categories: Home Health & Wellness
Most asthma exacerbations are caused from the air we breathe, and the dirty truth is that most of the germs that lurk in our environment are in our air. Our inside air can be up to five times more polluted than outdoor air, and we spend an average of 90% of our time indoors.
For even more bad news, one in five people suffer from asthma and allergies, with the youngest of them being most vulnerable during the first two months of back-to-school. There’s a one in four chance a child asthma sufferer will have to visit a hospital because of a severe asthma attack in September alone.
Here is just a sample of what you could be breathing in:
1. Germs can live in the air for 3 to 4 hours and travel in excess of 10 to 15 feet.
2. A cubic metre of air may contain 15,000 flu viruses.
3. A carpet can hold 8 times its weight in dirt, pesticides and other toxins hat become undetectable airborne pollutants when dry.
4. Dust particles on upholstered furniture can contain decomposing insect parts, pet dander and flakes of skin - all of which are released into the air anytime anyone sits down.
5. There is no such thing as a non-allergenic dog or cat. Short-haired or hairless animals contribute dander and allergens to indoor air pollution just as effectively as long-haired animals do.
6. Central air systems can become breeding grounds for mould, mildew, viruses and bacteria which are then distributed throughout a home or office.
7. People exposed to heavy indoor smoke are 2 to 3 times more likely to develop chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
8. Odours from felt markers, inks, glues, correction fluid, toner from copiers and other office chemicals can emit vapors at room temperature that over time can cause symptoms similar to inhaling formaldehyde.
One solution that can help drastically reduce asthma triggers at home is an air purifier. The AeraMax™ line of air purifiers are the first in Canada which have been scientifically tested and certified Asthma & Allergy Friendly by the Asthma Society of Canada. AeraMax™ uses a combination of the most effective filtration and cleaning methods to remove 99.97 per cent of airborne pollutants and articles down to 0.3 microns in size.